The Faculty of Sport, University „Union – Nikola Tesla“ consciously invests in the education of young and promising athletes and thus provides great support to Serbian sport.
Although we are a private institution of higher education, the Faculty of Sport provides scholarships to more than 40 promising athletes and young sports experts annually, of which 20 scholarship holders are Serbian Olympians, based on a cooperation agreement with the Serbian Olympic Committee.
Faculty of Sport’s three scholarship receivers, Milina Mišeljić and Mariana Zukanović – Red Star basketball players, as well as Vizura’s volleyball player Anđela Veselinović, are a real example of how a professional sports career is successfully harmonized with education and obligations at the Faculty. One day, at the same time, they were together at the premises of the Faculty.
The three of them won a total of 28 medals in the junior national team categories and the senior club competition. They are knocking on the doors of senior national teams, and they are equally successful at the Faculty. In the break between the two seasons and the situation when there are no representative gatherings, they devoted themselves to academic excellence:
– Good organization, a great understanding of the professors we come across at the Faculty of Sport, as well as an adapted teaching system for active athletes, allows me to pass the exams on time. This model of studying is a privilege for all athletes because I don’t have to choose between training or education. From this point of view, I have no doubt that I made the right choice when it comes to choosing a Faculty – says Mariana Zukanović, three-time state champion and two-time Cup winner with the Red Star, who also has two silver medals from European Championships for juniors and basketball players under 20.
– My impressions of the Faculty of Sport are great – Milina Mišeljić continues the story and adds:
– I am very grateful that I got the opportunity to be educated at the top level and that is why I try to justify the indicated trust. I am finishing the third year of the study program Management in Sport and I have only words of praise for my program. Awarding scholarships to such a large number of promising and young athletes is a noble mission that serves the Faculty of Sport, which is fully in the service of athletes. That is why I am very glad that I am a part of it – said Milina, who, in addition to the bronze medal from the Junior European Championship in the trophy treasury, has three Serbian champion titles and two national cups with the Red Star.
It is interesting to point out that the Faculty of Sports has awarded scholarships to seven current and former Red Star basketball players, and in addition to Milina Mišeljić and Marijana Zukanović, the following have enrolled to our Faculty: Jelena Ćirić, Đurđina Đokić, Masha Janković, Nevena Naumčev, Nina Tešić.
Vizura volleyball player Andjela Veselinović returned from the preparations of the senior national team a few days ago:
– It was my first participation in the senior national team action. We trained at Ub for two weeks and the impressions are phenomenal. It was a great honor for me to work with the selector Zoran Terzić and to hang out with other girls. To be honest, I didn’t expect it, but I secretly hoped for an invitation to the national team and that big dream came true. For me, it is an additional motivation to work even harder – says Anđela.
In her career so far, Anđela has a silver from the Junior European Championship, gold at the Balkanijada and silver from EYOF. In her club career, she is already a holder of five Serbian champion titles, two trophies won in the Cup, and five trophies in the Super Cup.
– My wish is to play volleyball for as long as I can. My idea is definitely to stay in the sports industry after the end of my playing career because that is the field of my interest in which I feel most comfortable. The knowledge I acquire and the degree I will get at the Faculty of Sport will enable me to achieve all that. The professors are very dedicated to us, they are very approachable and all their support is valuable – concluded Anđela.